Saturday, November 14, 2009

He's Here!!!

Ike Alexander Nelson joined our family Thursday, November 12th at 5:45 am. All my doctors and several nurses kept telling me that Ike would not be as big as Nora (9pounds 3 ounces, which is why we were shocked when we found out he was 9 pounds 8 ounces!!! He was 22 1/2 inches long and the first thing Branden said to me when Ike came out was "whoa - he's big."
Labor was a beast. (This account is mostly for my personal history. Skip over this part if you don't like labor stories or if you are currently pregnant. I know others have had worse labors, but with nothing to compare it to for myself, I thought it was rough! ) I went into a prenatal appointment Tuesday morning - Ike was a week and a day overdue. They put me on the fetal monitors and found some irregulaties and the doctor said there was probably already plenty of meconium in my fluid. So he sent me up to the hospital, Branden met me there, and our wonderful Relief Society President drove up to take Nora. After monitoring the baby there, they found him to be perfectly healthy. I was not dilated at all, my cervix was closed and very thick - definitely not ready for labor. So my choices were 1) go home and come back in a few days to be induced (or hope that somehow my body would go into labor on its own) 2) be induced immediately, or 3) have a c-section later that evening. It was a REALLY tough decision, but for the sake of future pregnancies I finally decided to go with the VBAC induction. They started the pitocin at about 2 pm on Tuesday. By 10 pm absoutely NOTHING had changed, except that I had been through a lot of painful contractions. We got to sleep that night and they restarted the pitocin at 5 am. By noon, my cervix had softened just enough for the doctor to strip my membranes and dilate me to a 2. I started taking some pain medication in the afternoon and got an epidural in the early evening. By about midnight I was dilated to about 9 1/2 and my water had broken or atleast started to leak. The epidural was definitely starting to wear off and was completely ineffective by 2:30 when I started to actively push. The second dose they put in did not work, I guess my system was already too used to the phentinol. My nurse and Branden were superheros in helping me stay on track with concentrating and pushing because otherwise I think I would have passed out or given up or something. I really didn't think I was going to make it. Towards the end, the nurse said "do you want to feel his head?" And I was so tired at that point that I said" No. I just want to get him out!" But after just over three hours of pushing, I got an episiotomy and Ike popped out. And then I thought I was going to die again when the doctor started pumping up and down on my stomach. That was intense. I guess I was bleeding ALOT and the doctor was trying get more out to prevent clotting from all the pitocin. Recovery in the hospital was pretty rough with all the sore muscles and the really sore belly from all the pit. One of my nurses asked me if I was glad I went VBAC and she was probably surprised when I told her I wasn't sure. I am not sure if a longer recovery is worse than induced labor pains. There have also been some very embarrassing post-partum side-effects that definitely did not occur with a c-section. Not going to elaborate on that one! But I have a wonderful husband and both my parents here to help out and I felt a great deal better this morning after getting full rest in my own extremely soft bed. Hopefully in another week I will be very glad that I went VBAC. At this point, it's still iffy. And immediately after Ike came out, I turned to Branden and said "I'm not doing that again!" Obviously women forget about how tortuous labor is though, so that statement will probably be null and void in another two years or so. :) Nora has been THRILLED to have a little brother around. With swine flu risks everywhere, she was not allowed to come into the hospital to see Ike. Thursday my mom brought her to the hospital and Branden held her outside our room window so she could at least see him in person. She was SO excited - she was even trying to tickle his little feet from the other side of the glass! :) As soon as we got home yesterday she wanted to hold him and play with him and give him tons of sweet kisses on his head. When he cries, she says "oh! Dass okay, dass okay. (That's okay.)" in a very motherly voice. She's been constantly bringing out toys and baby equipment for him. The only thing worrisome is that she has started to mimic his cries sometimes and tries to climb up on daddy, claiming she is a baby. Hmmm... :)


Nora opening her present from Baby Ike.

Nora wanting to share the view with her brother.


Ike is a great little guy. Very chill and a great cuddler. So glad he's here! Here is the amazingly beautiful and creative quilt my mom came up with for little Ike. Isn't she great?!

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Amber! Oh my word, I can't believe your epidural ran out! Why didn't they put more drugs in you?!?!?! I can't imagine what you just went through. I always said I wanted the drugs because I knew recovery would be hard enough. And you have to put up with BOTH! I want to give you a hug. What a superwoman. I'm glad it's over with. I guess your man was just chill inside you, too, eh? I'm glad he's being good for yall. I can't wait to meet him one day!

Heather and Zac said...

I've been checking your blog regularly. I'm so glad to hear that Ike is here and that all is well (...now). I'm so sorry your labor was so hard. I can't even imagine. You're a trooper!
And don't worry about Nora. Even Max asks me to pretend that he's my baby (quite often actually). I think it's normal. :)
Take care! I hope the recovery is quick!

Heidi Crosby said...

Amber, I ache on your behalf when I read about your experience bringing Ike here. What a ride! And he's a bit of a chunk! I like 'em big. That's all I know, but it always seems like they're tough and healthy that way. I think you are supermom. Way to go. I hope the recovery goes okay. Good luck! And Congratulations. He is Beautiful!

Jamie said...

WOW, WOW, WOW... you are amazing. I can't believe what you went through. I'm still in shock a little. Can't wait to catch up when you're feeling up to it.

Shanana said...

Congratulations, Nelson family! He's another beautiful baby... though I guess you can't call Nora much of a baby anymore. I can't believe how big she's grown! And Amber, how is it that you still look so fresh and cute in all those pictures after your ordeal? Not fair!

I hope the healing is swift and that you are able to get some sleep soon! Congratulations, again!

Aimee said...

We are so hsppy got for you guys! What a big boy he is! I'm glad it's all over and you can enjoy the time you have with the little man. I sure hope that we as moms eventually forget all of the pain and agony that we go through to get our children here! I don't know, I still haven't forgot. You need to come back and visit us in Fairfield so we can meet little Ike in person and Sydnee would love to see Nora. We sure miss you! Take care and don't forget to post lots of pics of your cute family! Give Nora and Ike a big hug and kiss from us! :0)

Thompson Family said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful and such a chunk! :) I can't imagine what that was like (literally since I have only had c-sections). Glad to hear that you are feeling better and now you get to enjoy the blessings of a new born!

Tina Swift said...

Yay! He's here, and he's soooo cute. Hooray for you and all of your hard work. My epidural was pretty much worn off by the time I was pushing too, but what can you do? I think Ike needed to come into this world nice and tough and with a little extra padding to keep up with his big sister! Can you imagine her "loving" on a little 5-pounder?... :-) Tell your mom congrats on that blanket. It is seriously one of the coolest quilts I've ever seen. Can't wait to see you guys. Good luck with recovery!

Kathryn Cooper said...

Wow Amber that sounded awful!! You look amazing. Being in labor for 2 days would be like death. Great job for surviving! He's precious.

Vicki said...

Ike looks big enough to be headed to kindergarten next week! Yikes! You Nelsons grow 'em big! (Adorably big for sure) Congratulations to the whole Nelson/Christensen family. Hugs from Aunt Vicki